Monday, 15 December 2014

Steady my feet when I have a wobble. Advent Day 15

Scripture:

36 At the time of sacrifice, the prophet Elijah stepped forward and prayed: ‘Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, let it be known today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant and have done all these things at your command. 37 Answer me, Lord, answer me, so these people will know that you, Lord, are God, and that you are turning their hearts back again.’

38 Then the fire of the Lord fell and burned up the sacrifice, the wood, the stones and the soil, and also licked up the water in the trench.

39 When all the people saw this, they fell prostrate and cried, ‘The Lord – he is God! The Lord – he is God!’

Name of Jesus: Ancient of Days (Daniel 7:22)
Symbol:  Stone Altar

Devotional:

I put my trust in so much these days and forget that God is the Ancient of Days.  He has always been on the throne and always will be.  It is so easy, when I need a miracle, to try to control events myself or to turn to others in despair forgetting that ultimately God is the One in control in my life.

When anger or fear gets the better of me I pray I will hear His still small voice: "Who is in control?"

I know that I need others, in fact God often helps us through others, it is the despair I long to let go of.  Why do I rail so, when things go wrong?  It's a knee-jerk reaction.  I need the Rock, the Ancient of Days, Who never changes to steady my feet and strengthen my heart.

Elijah obviously had faith in spades up on that mountain...and yet we see him, not long after, quivering in fear of Jezebel. Like us, Elijah had his wobbles...and like us God had to remind him just Who is really in control.

May I always be willing to recognise that.

My desire is to know Him Who gives me faith and Who strengthens me in difficult situations.  I doubt I will ever call down fire from heaven!!  But, let me never forget that my God always there to steady my feet when I have a 'wobble'.

Come Lord Jesus!

Happy Advent.

No comments:

Post a Comment