Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Thanks for making me a fighter

Most writers quote impressive scholarly people in their writing.  I quote Christina Aguilera.

So I'm stuck in a traffic jam today singing power ballads...because what else is there to do?

Good ol' Christina is singing away with me in the car:

After all you put me through
You'd think I'd despise you
But in the end I wanna thank you
'Cause you made that much stronger

You tried to hide your lies
Disguise yourself through
Living in denial
But in the end you'll see
You.
Won't.
Stop.
Me.

I am a fighter.

A freedom fighter!

Let's just pause for a moment to imagine what that would look like:

Awesome. I should so grow a beard.

Power to the People of Sarah's Democratic Republic of Sarahville.

Has a nice ring to it.

[unpause] Seriously though, someone that I really trust said to me, "God's going to make you a freedom fighter".

Instantly I think - Haha.  Me? Pfft.

I hate confrontation and have a tendency to either run away in tense situations or to try to resolve the situation by nervous giggling and changing the subject.  Which is why I have never been a street preacher or no-holds-barred evangelist.  Some people are very, very good at that kind of thing.  But not me.


What I am learning, slowly, is that God's freedom fighter is not necessarily a larger-than-life, vein pulsating, bicep popping, shouty, adrenaline rushing, take no prisoners, fighter, but one of quiet trust in God. 

The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still. ~ Exodus 14:14

Do not be afraid of them; the LORD your God himself will fight for you. ~ Deut 3:22

They will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD. ~ Jeremiah 1:19

I am strong and I am a fighter.  It's in a woman's DNA you know:  In which you are a beloved warrior.

But at the end of the day, it isn't me or you setting people free by our own strength, it's from Jesus.

1“Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight;
I will put my Spirit on him,
and he will bring justice to the nations.
2He will not shout or cry out,
or raise his voice in the streets.
3A bruised reed he will not break,
and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out.
In faithfulness he will bring forth justice;
...
6“I, the Lord, have called you in righteousness;
I will take hold of your hand.
I will keep you and will make you
to be a covenant for the people
and a light for the Gentiles,
7to open eyes that are blind,
to free captives from prison
and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness. [Isaiah 42]

I want people who've learned a totally messed-up, legalistic, controlling, damaging version of Christianity to find Jesus.  That's what I'm fighting for...what I want to learn how to fight for.

Jesus.  The greatest living freedom fighter.

4 comments:

  1. In a devotional I read recently they were talking about something similar. :) They didn't use the words freedom fighter, but I think it applies. A couple who were older and really couldn't get involved in church as they used to found themselves helping out by praying for what they knew to pray about. Yes, I agree, I think there are all kinds of freedom fighters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Sometimes I think we think prayer is a cop-out. But there's nothing more powerful than prayer.

      Delete
  2. So agree. Prayer is our lifeline.
    Tried to join you but Blogger isnt taking any requests at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so is.

      I think Blogger is going to try to force everyone to join Google+, it'll slowly faze out the blogger following thing.

      I use Feedly to follow my blogs.

      Delete