Thursday, 26 April 2012

Who is in control?

Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. 
Philippians 4:11

"As a mom I could have an expectation of a clean house (or a semi-clean house) so I can at least walk down the hallway without tripping over toys, or the expectation of a good night's sleep of eight hours. Whatever those expectations are, our pastor has explained, may be way up here in the clouds, but our actual reality may be down here with what we're dealing with, and everything in between is frustration. And you can find yourself getting very angry and put out about the way your life is because you've got all these expectations of how you thought it was going to be, or what it was like when you were growing up.

When we realized early in our marriage that we needed to give those expectations to God -- we needed to yield our right to a clean house, to a full night's sleep, to whatever it is that we think we deserve or we should have -- and say, "Lord, I'm not going to have these higher expectations that may not ever actually get reached. I'm going to give this to you, Lord, and if you allow anything to happen, that's good. I'm going to praise you, and I'm going to be grateful and yield my expectations to you."
~ Michelle Duggar

Something resonated within me when I read this article by Michelle Duggar, many times when things haven't gone my way or I am angry with someone I've heard that still small voice ask me, "Who is in control?"  When I get angry or frustrated or hurt I am allowing another person or circumstances to control my life.

For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. 
~ Isaiah 41:13

It has really made me consider how I am not trusting God even in my own home.  Many times I have been frustrated that my house is not perfect enough, or clean enough, or tidy enough.  Hubs has often remarked that I needed to lower my expectations.  So true.  My life is not built upon my own expectations but upon the Rock of Jesus Christ. 

It brings me back to that still small voice that has cautioned me so often. Who is in control?  Is God in control of my day and every little matter that arises?  Will I trust in Him even in the smallest things?

Hat tip:  Mrs June Fuentes for her link to the Michelle Duggar article.

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, high standards and expectations cause a lot of anxiety and depression. This is a lesson the Lord has been working on with me for the last several years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I really need to apply it to my life, God takes us step by step as He changes us. This article gave me a bit of clarity on something I'd been telling myself for ages! :)

      Delete
  2. Love Michelle Duggar. She and her family are a wonderful inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've don't know a great deal about them, I've read the odd article and watched one or two of their shows on Youtube, they do seem a very sweet family. I just really liked this quote from Michelle Duggar.

      Delete