Tuesday, 20 March 2012

...take up his cross and follow me.

And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:34-36

This was the scripture this morning at church.

A man who is carrying his cross knows that this world holds nothing for him, he has no future; he is about to be put to death.  When we carry our cross we are putting to death this worldly life; turning our backs on sin, the flesh-life and worldliness. Once we have set aside worldly aspirations and hopes we can focus fully on what is in God's will for us. Our only hope rests on Christ.

Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:6-11
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20

6 comments:

  1. Only he who believes is obedient. Only he who is obedient, believes. --Deitrich Bonhoeffer

    What you were thinking through reminded me of this quote - I think job of the carrying our cross follows a similar paradigm.

    Only, he who carries his cross is free from the world. Only he who is free from the world, picks up his cross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about the change in our hearts isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I read the top verses recently too and they really stood out to me. And Gal 2:20 is one of my favorites.

    Our hearts can be so easily pulled in so many different directions, can't it.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart is certainly easily pulled in many directions. Recently I know that I've lost some of my focus on Christ and been thinking too much about worldly things. I need to fix my eyes on Him more.

      Delete
  3. Love this!! These verses have been speaking to me a lot too. It is so easy to drop that cross and be distracted by this world but we much continue to pick it up and keep going!
    I am so thankful for where I am right now, still room for improvement always but He lives in me and I will keep living for Him!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to be distracted, but we press on! :) Jesus is always with us even to the end of the world.

      Delete