Saturday, 31 December 2011

Unmerited

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Ephesians 2:8

As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:
Colossians 2:6

I have a great weakness and that weakness is trying to please God.  And yet we are saved by grace - a gift.  The unmerited favour of God.  Unmerited.  No amount of effort on my part is going to bring me any more favour from God.  If I claim that my efforts are going to bring me favour from God I am claiming that the gift of grace is something merited, something earned.

I was saved by grace, and now the scriptures instruct me just as I was saved by grace I should walk by grace.  I realised I needed Jesus to save me in my sin and weakness at the beginning, and now I realise I need Jesus to keep me from sin and to help me to walk in His ways, and right at the end of all things I will need Jesus to bring me into God's presence.

I need Jesus.  He is a gift.  The bestest, free-est gift of all.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it wonderful to know that we have Jesus as our Savior and the One that paid the price for our sins.

    ReplyDelete