Monday, 4 July 2011

~Respect~Day 9 - 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children

From here: 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children

Day 9 - Respect

Scripture: Exodus 20:12 - Honour they father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

My thoughts:

In Ephesians 6 Paul reminds us of this commandment:

1Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. 2Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) 3That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

But he also adds:

4And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

There is a work of parents to nurture their children, and to bring them up in the Lord. The 'admonition' of the Lord - God loves us enough to die for us and so we should be with our children. We ought not to be as the 'Gentiles' who want to dominate, but to live sacrificial lives for Christ.

25But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. 26But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; 27And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: 28Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many. Matthew 20
If I want to lead my children in the right way then Jesus must be my leader, and my life must be modelled after His.

However, it is clear that God expects us to honour our parents whether we feel they deserve it or not. Just as He tells us to love our enemies, our neighbours, our brethren. God's ways aren't always easy, but they are right.

My parents are lovely, but I am aware that not all parents are. Only through God can we truly love and honour those who we may in the flesh find it hard to honour.

I pray that my children will show my husband and I the honour that God would have them. Not because I feel we deserve it or because I want to be put on a pedestal, but because God commands it and I want them to love God above all else. If they love God they will do as He commands. I pray that my husband and I will do our part in living servant lives for God, not lording it over our children - disciplining of course as necessary - but ministering to them as our Father in Heaven ministers to us. Remembering that the root of discipline is 'disciple'.

No comments:

Post a Comment