Sunday, 3 July 2011

~Mercy~ Day 8 - 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children

I've decided to take part in 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children, I mentioned this here, it originates from here: 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children and I heard about it via Ann Voskamp's blog Holy Experience.

Day 8 - Mercy

Scripture: Luke 6:36 - Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

My thoughts: This scripture is proceeded by a command to love our enemies, to do good and to lend without any thought of return. God is kind even to the unthankful and to those who do evil. The scripture is followed by a command not to judge or condemn others.

These are hard scriptures. Such love and kindness can only be a product of the Holy Spirit. They are totally against the nature of man. We want our enemies to suffer, we don't want to show mercy to those who don't deserve mercy. And yet our God is kind even to those who are His enemies. He longs for everyone to come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ and to live in His love. We too must show great mercy (for we have been shown great mercy in that whilst we were still sinners Christ died for us) and must love our enemies and bless those who spitefully use us. It is impossible without God, but with God nothing is impossible.

I pray that I may live these commands in His strength and that I may lead my children to do the same. Bless them with loving and merciful hearts, blessed by God's Holy Spirit in Christ Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment