Friday, 1 July 2011

~Love for God's Word ~ 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children

I've decided to take part in 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children, I mentioned this here, it originates from here: 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children and I heard about it via Ann Voskamp's blog Holy Experience.

Day 6 - Love for God's Word

Scripture: Psalm 119:16-18 ~ I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word. Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live, and keep thy word. Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.

My thoughts: God's Word is life giving. If I go a day or two without reading the Bible I find myself feeling rather bereft, and I don't mean guilt or worry but simply that I am missing something important. Reading God's Word brings me peace and is food for my soul.

The Holy Scriptures are our letters from home
~ Augustine

Home. I feel at home in the Word. Even in Leviticus. If anyone brings up a book of the Bible that embodies the word 'dull' they mention Leviticus. And yet, if you look at the feasts, they're prophetic, such hope in the words of Leviticus, we just need to be able to see them. I'll just go off at a tangent for a moment and share the beautiful feasts that God gave to His people in the book of Leviticus.

~Passover - the prophecy of Christ's redemption, we are saved from death, God sees the blood of the Lamb and we are saved from the death that we deserve just as Israel was saved from death by painting the blood of a lamb on the door-posts of their homes.
~Feast of unleavened bread - as Christ broke that unleavened bread He taught us that His sinless body was given to us. The Feast of Unleavened Bread reminds us of that hope in Christ - we have victory over sin.
~Feast of First Fruits - Christ rose from the dead, He was the firstfruits: 1 Cor 15:20 But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. We now have the hope of resurrection in Him.
~Feast of Weeks (Shavuot - Pentecost) - Here pilgrims travelled to Jerusalem when leavened bread was offered to the Lord, two loaves. This is an indication that sinful (leavened) man could now come to the presence of the Lord through Jesus Christ. One loaf representing Israel and the other Gentiles, both together before God, one in Christ. We see the Holy Spirit come with power to the church in Jerusalem on this feast day in the book of Acts.
~Feast of Trumpets - Here the shofar is blown. This is a prophetic feast representing that moment when the seventh trumpet is blown in heaven announcing the imminent arrival of our King.
~The Day of Atonement - the High Priest enters the Holy of Holies to sprinkle blood on the Ark of the Covenant and to atone for the sins of Israel. This prophetic feast looks towards the day of judgement and cleansing when we will be judged and finally be made perfect - brought into the Holy of Holies - when our Lord returns. Those who have repented will be accepted, those who have not will not be allowed to enter the Holy of Holies - Heaven.
~Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkot) - the final harvest festival. The temporary booths that Israel built to remind them of their time wandering in the desert. Our time on this earth is temporary, we have a permanent home waiting for us in Heaven and we will be there in that final harvest of mankind.

I do struggle with the book of Job though. This time of reading through the Bible I decided to follow a chronological reading plan (not something I've done before), in the middle of Genesis you read Job. "DULL", my mind screamed. "Sorry Lord," I whispered, "I know it's here for a reason. Please show me the reason". And I enjoyed it! I really did, I enjoyed reading Job for the first time!

This is a long pre-amble to the fact that I want my children to have a love for God's Word. And they have. They have surprised me. Chatterbox's favourite book is Revelation. I was worried about that when she told me, I thought she'd find it frightening. I remember as we read these words:

13And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

14His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;

15And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

16And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

And I turned to Chatterbox just about to explain that she ought not be afraid of these words, but she cut in, "IT'S JESUS!" she cried with great affection. Squidge, on the other hand, loves Ecclesiastes. Lol, she called it 'escalates' for quite a while!

I pray though that their love of the Word doesn't wane. These words are life and they all point to Christ. I pray that not only will my own love of God's Word increase, but that we will be a family who live in His wonderful Word. That our lives reflect His commandments.

By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world — our faith. Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? 1 John 5:2-5

No comments:

Post a Comment