Thursday, 23 June 2011

Uncertainty and through a glass darkly...

One of the good things about blogging is that I have been challenged in my faith. It has encouraged me to really think, to pray and to search God's Word about so many things. This is a cliché, but this life really is a journey.

I have learned that it is presumptuous to think that I know it all. That I have all the answers. I am not talking now about confidence in Christ and His saving grace - that is a confidence we need. But to believe we know every aspect of God, even to believe we can interpret every scripture and know exactly what it means in its entirety shows we do not know how big God really is. I have found that I might suddenly find a new depth to a scripture that I have read a thousand times. For just as God's mercy is new every morning, so also each day is a new revealing of the unfathomable depth of Who God really is.

I don't believe in ignoring or questioning the teaching of the scriptures; what I mean is that I question my own understanding.

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. Proverbs 3:5

We know only in part. Until Christ returns we cling to Him as children, living and loving prayerfully for Him, following His Word, living a life for him as best we can. But then, one day, when we are all gathered safely into His House, we will know Him as deeply as He knows us. There is incredible beauty in that. To know Him as He knows us...one day. Ah the wonder of God!
9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 11When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 1 Cor 13

There is nothing I desire to know except this, that Jesus Christ loved me (us!) so much that He died for me, He took my sins and flesh to the cross and destroyed them, He has redeemed me and He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords. All praise to Jesus.

For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. 1 Cor 2:2

Even so, I still have not and will not ever on this earth fully understand the depth and the wondrous mystery of this. But it's an amazing journey.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get to heaven and find out what this all really looks like and what God's perfect plan is...it is so very, very exciting...I think there are going to be many, many surprises in store for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing that God has adopted us as sons and that we are now heirs of the Kingdom of Heaven! I can never get over that, so wonderful.

    All we imagine about what Heaven might be like is so small and narrow compared with the wonders that await us! As you say, there are lots of surprises ahead.

    ReplyDelete