Thursday, 30 June 2011

~Self Control~ Day 5 - 31 Days of Prayer for our Children

I've decided to take part in 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children, I mentioned this here, it originates from here: 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children and I heard about it via Ann Voskamp's blog Holy Experience.

Scripture: Proverbs 25:28 - He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.

My thoughts: Self-control is a gift from God. It is a gift from God as it is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. Self-control is not something that can be achieved through gritted teeth, it is something that can only be achieved by the power of the Holy Spirit and through prayer.

But it has a price. It is not something that will come like magic, the flesh rears its ugly head - we want to lose control, to be angry, to give in to wrongful emotions - and we must flee, flee to the Lord Who is our Helper in our time of need.

At the core of self-control is Christ. He is love, grace and mercy. Who can possibly lose control when we are living in love, grace and mercy? To walk in love is to walk in the Spirit, to walk in the Spirit is to display those beautiful fruits of the Spirit.

I pray that my little ones - ah and me too! - would learn that it is God Who gives them self-control. It is not in human nature, it is in God's nature.

Abide in me; o’ershadow by Thy love
Each half formed purpose and dark thought of sin;
Quench ere it rise each selfish, low desire,
And keep my soul as Thine, calm and divine.


As some rare perfume in a vase of clay,
Pervades it with a fragrance not its own,
So, when Thou dwellest in a mortal soul,
All Heaven’s own sweetness seems around it thrown.

Abide in me; there have been moments blest
When I have heard Thy voice and felt Thy power;
Then evil lost its grasp; and passion, hushed,

Owned the divine enchantment of the hour.

From 'Abide in Me, O Lord' - Harriet B Stowe

No comments:

Post a Comment