Sunday, 26 June 2011

Day 1 - 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children

I mentioned this yesterday, it's 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children from here: 31 Days of Prayer for Your Children and I heard about it via Ann Voskamp's blog Holy Experience.

Day 1 - Salvation

Scripture: 2 Timothy 1:5. When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in they grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.

My thoughts: It is the priority of every Christian parent to pray for their child's salvation, we want them above all to know Jesus Christ. We must be sincere in our prayer that our children find Christ truly. I often hear of parent's rejoicing of their child's profession of faith at a young age - and this is indeed wonderful - but we must continue to pray for their spiritual lives because young children like to please their parents and it is possible that the profession isn't heartfelt or the children have questions that they are fearful to express. As Paul states in today's scripture '...the unfeigned faith...', faith must be real and honest.

Chatterbox has given her life to Jesus, and for this I rejoice and am SO proud. But I continue to pray and to allow open non-judgemental (i.e. avoid 'panicky mother') discussion with her. The other day she said to me quietly and fearfully, "Mummy, I'm worried that God doesn't exist. 'X' doesn't believe in God and she seems happy so does 'Y'". Everything in me wanted to panic and pressure her into re-stating her faith. But I checked myself as she told me how she was afraid to admit this in case God was angry with her and would send her to hell (my little treasure!!), that people at church would be angry and that I would be upset and disappointed. We must be so careful as parents to deal sensitively with matters of faith, because faith is a gift from God and is not something that can be forced by fear-mongering or pressure.

Chatterbox and I prayed, we chatted for a bit about God's love and His acceptance of us 'warts n' all', how He is quick to forgive and SLOW to anger. I told her she needn't ever fear being truthful because God knows her heart anyway and He holds her heart in His hands. I encouraged her to share her fears in her Children's church group if she felt comfortable doing that. They were so encouraging and told her she was brave for admitting her worries.

Since this she's been so much more peaceful and she says she feels secure in God's love. We have consistently prayed Ephesians 6 every night:
14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—


Even so, the growth of Chatterbox's faith is not finished and I know that there is a road ahead that only God knows.

Image from Heartlight

Our children are precious to God, we must place their salvation in His hands and to teach them "...the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus." 2 Tim 3:15(b)

No comments:

Post a Comment