Sunday, 27 February 2011

Simple Trust

In simple trust like theirs who heard
Beside the Syrian sea
The gracious calling of the Lord,
Let us, like them, without a word
Rise up and follow Thee.

I shared a few posts ago (my time is measured in blog posts, lol) that I had been struggling a little. It's as if I've run ahead on my own steam, lost my focus and my foundation, and God is bringing me back to the gospel, to the bedrock that my faith should rest upon, to the simplicity that is the good news of Jesus Christ.

Today at church I churned inside as our church worshipped. I felt low, I felt I couldn't sing. "How can I sing these lofty words when I feel I don't understand what they mean?" I thought to myself. Then God reminded me that I am to accept Him, to come to Him, as a little child.

At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:1-4.


Little children rely on their parents, they trust their parents, they need their parents. We are to trust in God with a simple faith relying entirely on Him for our comfort and our instruction. Little children can be naughty of course, but here Jesus is speaking of the natural trusting humility of little children who hold out their hands to their parents and trust them for their every need. The gospel of Christ is simple and it is life giving - it is the power of God unto salvation!

I don't need to complicate things. Let me come to God with an open heart totally reliant on Him. Let me sing the praises of God with simple faith and simple love resting entirely on Jesus.

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: Romans 8:14-16


After I had been thinking on these things, and about the lovely scripture that tells us that we are not to despise the little ones for their angel always beholds the face of God (Matt 18:10), our music group leader sang this song:

Oh Lord, You're Beautiful - Keith Green

Oh Lord, you're beautiful,
Your face is all I see,
For when your eyes are on this child,
Your grace abounds to me.

Oh Lord, you're beautiful,
Your face is all I see,
For when your eyes are on this child,
Your grace abounds to me.

I want to take your word and shine it all around.
But first help me to just, live it Lord.
And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown.
For my reward is giving glory to you.

Oh Lord, please light the fire,
That once burned bright and clean.
Replace the lamp of my first love,
That burns with Holy fear.

I want to take your word and shine it all around.
But first help me to just, live it Lord.
And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown.
For my reward is giving glory to you.

Oh Lord, you're beautiful,
Your face is all I see,
For when your eyes are on this child,
Your grace abounds to me.



I am God's child. His grace sustains me. By His grace I am saved - not by any work of my own. I cannot earn God's favour, He is my Father and He loves me. If I don't understand scripture or the words of a song or teaching and preaching, He will guide me and instruct me if and when I need to understand. I need to keep my eyes on Jesus Christ Who is the author and finisher of my faith. He began a good work in me, and He will finish it! Glory be to God!

Come Lord Jesus.

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are on the right track! I can just sense your peace from your post.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautifully written! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing this. It's so wonderful when we can know that we can approach God just as we are and know that we can totally trust Him. What an amazing love He has for us. Bless you as you sink into His arms and lean on Him as He leads you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies. Hugs n' blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete