Thursday, 17 February 2011

Confidence in Christ

I am writing this as a way of quantifying my thoughts on this matter. I don't mean to 'preach'. I've been floundering a bit recently in my faith and I think God is teaching me something.

------------------------------

As Christians we will still sin, unfortunately. But what should we do when we do sin? Doubt our salvation? Beat ourselves up? Live in despair, burdened by our failure? No. We should turn back to Christ. That is true repentance, a turning back to Christ. No amount of pleading and crying and beating our breasts will give us the peace of true repentance. Yes we may cry in remorse, but it is the turning back to Christ that is important. To fix our eyes on HIM. To fix our eyes on ourselves is to place confidence in the flesh.

It shouldn't drive us to try to be better people (works) - attend church more, give more time, give more money, love more - no repentance is a turning back to Christ. It is an acknowledgement that it is God whom we need and it is from God that we have strayed.

Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest. (Psalm 51:4)

It is in Christ that we find peace and relief from the pain of sinfulness and the weights of this world, and in his grace and mercy He gives us that peace that only comes from God. When we are in that place of grace and peace then, and only then, can we out of a spirit of gratitude, live the life that God would have us live - in faith, hope and love. It is in God that we can resist sin and be given strength in our weakness.

We can't place confidence in what we do, but we can place confidence in Christ.

Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1-2)


It will be Christ Who strengthens us and carries us. It is Christ Who leads us and brings us into righteousness through His work on the cross. It is Christ Who raises us to eternal life through His resurrection from the dead and His ascension into Heaven. It is all the work of God, not the work of ourselves, otherwise all the glory would be for us.

5 comments:

  1. Amen Girl. There are not enough works or money that can save us. We are sinners saved by grace.
    When we give our lives to Christ and live for him as well as we can we have the knowledge of salvation.
    Will we sin YES
    Will we see JESUS YES. We walk on streets of gold with a new body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Amen! Amen!

    What a blessing this was to read, great thoughts my dear friend. (o:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce - it's all about Him isn't it? If only I can keep my eyes on Jesus and the hope we have in Him. I keep moving my eyes onto me and how much I fail and how 'I can't do it'. Well duh, of course I can't do it, if I could I wouldn't need salvation!

    Michele - I'm so glad it blessed you, because I was trying to get my thoughts together on the subject I wondered if it would make sense.

    Hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! This is such a reassuring post. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen! a lovely post.
    It's all about Jesus
    and His amazing grace
    blessings xx

    ReplyDelete