Monday, 1 November 2010

John 14

Our Pastor read the whole of John 14 on Sunday morning and I was suddenly struck by the following verses:

Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves. (John 14: 10-11)

At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. (John 14:20)

It made me realise the eternal significance of this. Christians, because of Christ, are both filled and surrounded by God. I drew the following diagram:



Even this does not in any way explain the depth of Jesus' words, for though God is at the centre (right where He should be) He is in turn filled by Jesus and because of Jesus filled by us who are in turn filled by Christ and because of Christ God. Equally, God surrounds us and yet Christ surrounds God, yet also within us. And so it goes on...eternally.

My tiny brain of course cannot comprehend the wonder of this.

"The Spirit of Christ, then, or the real Deity of Christ, dwells in the truly spiritual believer. But this fact needs to be spiritually apprehended [understood], and kept distinctly and continually in view. Christ not only in heaven, but Christ within us, as really and truly inhabiting our bodies as we do, as really in us as we are in ourselves, [this] is the teaching of the Bible, and must be spiritually apprehended by a divine, personal, and inward revelation, to secure our abiding in Him.

"We not only need the real presence of Christ within us, but we need His manifested presence to sustain us in hours of conflict. Christ may be really present within us as He is without us, without our apprehending [taking hold of] His presence. His manifesting Himself to us, as with us and in us, is by Himself conditioned upon our faith and obedience. His manifesting Himself within us, and thus assuring us of His constant and real presence, confirms and establishes the confidence and obedience of the soul." Charles Finney

Christ is within us, guiding us through His Holy Spirit, he is also without (outside) of us protecting us. He is our guiding light and our Rock cleft for us.

1. Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee;
let the water and the blood,
from thy wounded side which flowed,
be of sin the double cure;
save from wrath and make me pure.

2. Not the labors of my hands
can fulfill thy law's commands;
could my zeal no respite know,
could my tears forever flow,
all for sin could not atone;
thou must save, and thou alone.

3. Nothing in my hand I bring,
simply to the cross I cling;
naked, come to thee for dress;
helpless, look to thee for grace;
foul, I to the fountain fly;
wash me, Savior, or I die.

4. While I draw this fleeting breath,
when mine eyes shall close in death,
when I soar to worlds unknown,
see thee on thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee.

I know I haven't expressed the depth of the scriptures, but it has filled me with wonder at the eternity and the depth of God's promises. We can never plumb the depths of God neither can we reach His heights because whichever way you look He goes on and on for eternity, filling us and surrounding us with His unfathomable love.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, find this truly amazing!

    Love the Charles Finney quote as well as the hymn you shared.

    Praise the Lord!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post. I read that chapter last night and I found something else that was what I needed.
    One chapter but many lessons available.

    ReplyDelete