Saturday, 27 February 2010

I crucified Christ

Therefore let the entire house of Israel know with certainty that God has made him both Lord and Messiah, this Jesus whom you crucified.’

Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and to the other apostles, ‘Brothers, what should we do?’ Peter said to them, ‘Repent, and be baptised every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ so that your sins may be forgiven; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you, for your children, and for all who are far away, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to him.’

Acts 2:36:39 (NRSV)


`Twas I that shed the sacred blood;
I nailed him to the tree;
I crucified the Christ of God;
I joined the mockery.
Of all that shouting multitude
I feel that I am the one;
And in that din of voices rude
I recognize my own.
Around the cross the throng I see,
Mocking the sufferer’s groan;
Yet still my voice it seems to be,
As if I mocked alone.

Horatius Bonar (1808-1889)


Surely he has borne our infirmities
and carried our diseases;
yet we accounted him stricken,
struck down by God, and afflicted.
But he was wounded for our transgressions,
crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the punishment that made us whole,
and by his bruises we are healed.
All we like sheep have gone astray;
we have all turned to our own way,
and the Lord has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

Isaiah 53: 4-6 (NRSV)




It breaks my heart what I did to my Lord. How can I ever forget what He has done for me and what I did to Him? Yet, He loves me so and has saved me from the punishment I deserve!



Here is love, vast as the ocean,
Lovingkindness as the flood,
When the Prince of Life, our Ransom,
Shed for us His precious blood.
Who His love will not remember?
Who can cease to sing His praise?
He can never be forgotten,
Throughout Heav’n’s eternal days.

On the mount of crucifixion,
Fountains opened deep and wide;
Through the floodgates of God’s mercy
Flowed a vast and gracious tide.
Grace and love, like mighty rivers,
Poured incessant from above,
And Heav’n’s peace and perfect justice
Kissed a guilty world in love.

Let me all Thy love accepting,
Love Thee, ever all my days;
Let me seek Thy kingdom only
And my life be to Thy praise;
Thou alone shalt be my glory,
Nothing in the world I see.
Thou hast cleansed and sanctified me,
Thou Thyself hast set me free.

In Thy truth Thou dost direct me
By Thy Spirit through Thy Word;
And Thy grace my need is meeting,
As I trust in Thee, my Lord.
Of Thy fullness Thou art pouring
Thy great love and power on me,
Without measure, full and boundless,
Drawing out my heart to Thee.

Multiple authors: see here



Jesus Christ is now risen, ascended and glorified at the right hand of God. What a wonderful Lord.


6 comments:

  1. Amen Sarah! What a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post.
    May Dad used to say "If I had been the ONLY sinner, Jesus would still have come and been crucified for me - but I would have been the one who knocked the nails in"
    We must never cheapen grace, or forget what it cost Him to die for us.
    [o, and I love Bonar's hymns too]
    Lenten blessings xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen Sarah, what a beautiful post!

    Hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah - are you ok? you haven't posted for over a fortnight!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angela - I'm fine, thanks for asking! xxx

    ReplyDelete