Saturday, 20 February 2010

Fulfillment is only found in God - and don't trust the adverts!


This made me giggle, but also reminded me of something that bothers me more and more. False advertising. False hope of a better life if you just buy this or that product.

Our Assistant Pastor mentioned recently a Simpsons' episode where they parodied an advertisement for (I think it was) a retirement home - "HAPPINESS GUARANTEED!" the advert screams. Quickly and quietly the disclaimer states: "happiness not guaranteed". :)

The following video I've posted before. I've used it to teach Chatterbox about the lies that advertising and the media try to fill our minds with. She now shouts at the telly, "It's all lies!"




The next video I haven't embedded directly, because it isn't for a younger audience due to the images of plastic surgery and scantily clad models, but it is very powerful and thought provoking so if you want to watch click on the link: Beauty Pressure

At the end of the day, we can teach our children not to trust adverts or the world, and this is important, but the most important thing is that they find life in Jesus Christ. Peace, rest, salvation, freedom, joy, love...I could go on and on - it's all in the scriptures, and He wants us to live in His life. This is what I want my children to have - life in abundance.

For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.
Romans 8:5-6 (RSV)

If my children trust in God and live life according to the Holy Spirit then I need not worry that they will set their minds on 'things of the flesh'.

But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for the LORD sees not as man sees; man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart."
1 Samuel 16:7 (RSV)

God sees right through us, right through our words, right through our fa├žade, right through our 'knowledge', right through our qualifications, right through our actions, right through our 'beauty'. None of this matters to God if we do not know Him; if we would just yield to Him - deep, deep down into our hearts the light of His love shines and the sword of truth cuts. And it brings perfect peace.


8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry, my feed reader is on the blink and so I thought you stopped your blog again (it put up that silly exclamation point saying you were gone)...I will try to resubscribe!!

    I totally agree with this post. I've seen the dove one before and find it incredibly powerful...I've not seen the other one. Will have to look tonight...got to go to my nephew's first birthday party (the one with the heart murmur)...hugs and kisses.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Dove movie. Appearances are so deceiving

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL that first pic made me laugh.

    I love the Dove clip :)

    Hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the post. You can never take Adverts as Gospel.
    It is in only one place and that is the Bible.
    Outer beauty fades and inner beauty stays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right about the deception in advertising.
    What is ironic is that BOTH your clips are produced by Unilever - who produce more than just Dove - they have Ponds "Anti-age serum" and pioneered AHA products. Unilever is just as guilty of the deceptive advertising/sales pressure that their own Dove advert claims to reject!
    Charm is vain, beauty is deceptibe - but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised
    Lenten blessings x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right! I've seen the Dove one several times but every time I see it I am amazed by how 'fake' everything is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of these videos are powerful...the draw to be beautiful is always around us, as well as all the false advertising. Especially for the baby boomers my age who still want to look young. God does look at our heart, and whether we live a holy life before Him, not how we look on the outside. Thank you for the thought provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks ladies for all your comments :)

    Melissa - don't worry, it's my own fault for messing about with my blog! Glad you found out I'm still posting though! :) xx

    ReplyDelete