Monday, 26 October 2009

The Ineffable God - Our Great and Mighty God

in·ef·fa·ble
Pronunciation: \(ˌ)i-ˈne-fə-bəl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin ineffabilis, from in + effabilis capable of being expressed, from effari to speak out, from ex- + fari to speak

1a: incapable of being expressed in words : indescribable b : unspeakable
2 : not to be uttered : taboo (sacred)

~ Merriam-Webster Dictionary

~oOo~

Crown Him the Lord of years, the Potentate of time,
Creator of the rolling spheres, ineffably sublime.
All hail, Redeemer, hail! For Thou has died for me;
Thy praise and glory shall not fail throughout eternity.

~Crown Him with Many Crowns, Matthew Bridges

~oOo~

You are beautiful beyond description
Too marvelous for words
Too wonderful for comprehension
Like nothing ever seen or heard
Who can grasp Your infinite wisdom
Who can fathom the depth of Your love
You are beautiful beyond description
Majesty enthroned above

And I stand, I stand in awe of you
I stand, I stand in awe of you
Holy God to whom all praise is due
I stand in awe of you.

~I Stand in Awe, Mark Altrogge


O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

~ Romans 11:33-36 [italics and emphasis mine]

~oOo~

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

~Isaiah 55:8-9 [italics and emphasis mine]


~oOo~

To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One. Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that he is strong in power; not one faileth.

Why sayest thou, O Jacob, and speakest, O Israel, My way is hid from the LORD, and my judgment is passed over from my God? Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.

~Isaiah 40: 25 - 28 [emphasis and italics mine]


Indescribable, uncontainable,
You placed the stars in the sky and
You know them by name.
You are amazing God
All powerful, untameable,
Awestruck we fall to our knees
as we humbly proclaim
You are amazing God

~ Indescribable, Chris Tomlin


2 comments:

  1. Indescribable has to be one of my favorite worship songs!

    ReplyDelete